The 10 Foods You Should Definitely Be Eating
When it comes to weight loss or maintaining a healthy body weight, exercise alone is not enough. A balanced diet made up of real, unprocessed foods like lean protein, vegetables, fruit, and healthy fats are an essential component of a healthy lifestyle. With all of the time that goes into preparing healthy meals and energy spent at the gym, wouldn’t it be nice if you could burn more calories just by choosing the right foods? Well there is good news in the battle against an expanding waistline. Consuming certain foods can actually boost your metabolism just by eating! So, grab a fork and any one of these 10 foods to get more bang for your bite.
1. Cayenne Pepper: As well as other peppers like jalapenos and habaneros, cayenne peppers produce body heat and increase the heart rate, increasing lipid oxidation resulting in the burning of fat for energy. Studies have shown that these peppers can also decrease appetite and slows the growth of fat cells.
2. Cinnamon: Adding this spice to your coffee, tea, or snacks adds flavor and has been found to lower blood sugar levels.
3. Ginger: Best in its raw form, ginger is known to increase metabolic function, suppress the appetite, and improve digestion by relieving an upset stomach.
4. Citrus Fruits: Lemons, limes, and citrus fruits add fiber, flavor, and vitamin C to your diet without extra calories. You’ll feel fuller longer and your blood sugar will be better regulated throughout the day.
5. Berries and Apples: Packed with pectin, quercetin, vitamin C, and malic acid, these fruits regulate energy levels. Because they are water based and high in fiber they also help satisfy your appetite.
6. Wild Salmon: Fresh wild salmon–not farmed raised–contain essential fatty acids, a key nutrient for overall health.
7. Garlic: Adding a few cloves of garlic to your meal has been linked to lower blood sugar levels.
Green Tea: EGCG, a chemical in green tea revs, up the heart, metabolism, and fat-burning abilities. Catechins, the powerful antioxidants found in green tea, are known to increase metabolism.
9. Raw Almonds: Snacking on a handful of raw almonds will help build muscle and keep you full with loads of protein, fiber, vitamin E, and magnesium.
10. Eggs: Full of vitamin B12, protein, and animo acids, eggs help build muscle and burn fat.